2009-06-05

Looking back

Two years and 3 days ago our lives changed forever. We didn't quite realise it then. All we knew was that we took Bianca to the A&E as she had a swollen lymph node behind her head which we assumed was something to do with the tonsilitis she had earlier that month in May 2007. It was on that day that our nearly 4 year old was admitted to hospital for the very first time in her life. I remember the panic I felt when Terence phoned to say that she was admitted with low platelets and low red blood cells and that she would have to stay for further tests. I remember praying that whatever it was that she could be treated and that she could be cured. God answered that prayer and two years ago today Bianca was formally diagnosed with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (which is both treatable and has a high chance of success).

I can hardly believe it's been 2 years already. At times it feels as if it was just yesterday that we sat there in this tiny little room with Doctor Anne, but at times it feels as if we have always had leukemia part of our lives. Sometimes it is hard to remember what life was like before Bianca was diagnosed.

But here we are with a little more than 3 months left on treatment, well 3 months and 6 days to be exact. Two years ago I desperately wanted to get to today even though it felt as if time came to a complete standstill. And here we are today, amazed at how much we have achieved and how much we have grown during this time. We've learned a lot about life, about ourselves and about other people, but most of all, we've learned just how much one little girl can teach us about living life to the fullest.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

And what a journey it has been. I am so glad that you are nearly at the end of the treatment part of it.
What beautiful photos. I particularly loved the last one.
Have a great day,
Bridget

Amanda said...

Gorgeous gorgeous pics! You guys have been through so much, I'm happy that it's almost over.

Annie - Steven's mom said...

Oh wow - all those photos carry so much feeling, joy, learning and love. At first I kept thinking that the umbrella one is my favorite - but now I think they all are :)

3 months left....... that is just absolutely wonderful! Oh Lea - you have all done so awesomely on this long journey of yours. Well done!

love and light
Annie

Anonymous said...

I cannot imagine how terrifying hearing the diagnosis for the first time must have been. Bianca is a fighter and I'm sure you're all really proud of her!