2009-08-29

The science of choosing glue

Recently one of my Facebook friends suggested I play around with some spare Paua shell pieces and canvas in preparation of the photo collage project I want to make. And so off I went to one of the stationery stores to buy two small square canvasses. I have a supply of acrylic paints from when I attempted to learn to paint a number of years ago and then of course I had to find out what type of glue to use. I sort of assumed I would just take a glue gun and stick my paua shell pieces on the canvas, but my Facebook friend consulted with the glue master (a.k.a her other half) and he suggested I get some Ados glue.

So armed with the suggestion of Ados glue I went to Mitre10 today. Walked in and walked up and down the isles looking for where they kept the glue. Finally somebody pointed me in the right direction and there I was faced with every possible type of glue you can imagine. It is then that I realised I had no idea if Ados was the make or just a type of glue, you know like craft glue or wood glue. Hmmm. I was about to give up and find some glue expert at the store and then just as I walked around the corner, I noticed a whole shelf... of Ados glue. But then problem number two that my Facebook friend's glue master (a.k.a. her other half) did not mention is that you get about a hundred different types of Ados glue (okay I'm exaggerating, perhaps around 10 different types). But still. I'm not at all a glue expert and here I was faced with things like Builder's Glue, F2 Contact Spray Adhesive, F2 Multi Purpose Contact Adhesive, F22 Long Tack Adhesive, F3 Non-drip Contact and so on. So you can well imagine my dilemma here. None of them actually listed Paua Shell of one of the things that you can stick to canvas. Finally I gave up and searched for somebody there who had any idea which ones of the tall, small, round, squeezy containers would actually successfully glue my paua shell pieces to canvas. Note to self - next time ask for help first before spending 20 minutes staring blankly at the glue shelf. I finally left with Ados F3 which is "ideal for vertical and overhead services" and "won't drip or slump" and is a "contact adhesive in gel". Of course it has loads of warnings that it is toxic, that it may be harmful if swallowed and that I should avoid breathing the vapours and I learned it is a highly thixotropic, high-strength contact adhesive (yes, even after reading about thixotropic I still don't really understand what it means, but as long as it can stick my paua shell pieces, then that's all that matters).

Anyway, tonight I decided that I was going to attempt creating my small canvas and Bianca enthusiastically wanted to make her own piece of art too. So we sat there mixing paint and finally created this:

My attempt (and yes the glue worked!)


It doesn't have to make sense - it is art after all :-).

And Bianca's master piece:


She wants to decorate it with some paua shell pieces too, so tomorrow I will give her a hand with that seeing as the glue is probably not all that child-friendly being toxic and all.

And now that I know the glue works, I'm one step closer!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You both did great paintings.
Lea, the paua on the blue and brown looks amazing!
Have a great day,
Bridget

Anonymous said...

Great work. Your painting reminds me of the fun of trying to find paua shells on the beach.