2009-01-03

Quiet days at home

Today was sort of weird now that we suddenly have to keep Bianca away from other people again while we wait for her counts to recover. They are not as low as they were, I mean you can't really get lower than zero neutrophils (as far as I know), but they are not above 1 yet and that is technically still on the low side. So we stayed home, which felt weird as we always try and do stuff over weekends and for a while now we've had more of a "normal". Of course we could have probably taken her to the park or the beach, but with the way the weather is now, I am sure there would be just so many people there at the same time, which would increase the risk and if we can avoid another hospital admission at the moment, then that would be good. Especially since Terence is due back at work next week after this short little break now between Christmas and New Years, so it would be more challenging if we had another hospital stay.

We are quite keen to get to Monday when we will do another blood test, and with any luck Bianca's counts would have recovered. I am quite anxious to start oral chemo again seeing as Bianca's now been off oral chemo since 22 December 08. So hopefully Monday will be the day.

Last night was a fairly rough night for me as Caitlyn was pretty restless from midnight until around 5:30 when she decided she didn't want to sleep anymore. Caitlyn finally fell asleep again on the couch around 7:30 and then Terence got up to look after the girls and I went back to catch up on sleep. Tonight is his turn.

In some respects it doesn't feel real to me yet that the new year has arrived. It certainly does not feel any different just yet. I can't believe that school is starting again in around 4 weeks' time, then my little girl will officially be Year 1. And February means only 7 months left of treatment. It also means Caitlyn will turn 2. Just the other day I was watching little video clips of when Bianca turned 2 and wow, the difference is so huge to what she was like then and what she is like now!

So I expect we'll just have another quiet day at home tomorrow. But sometimes "quiet" can also be good!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking of you all and hoping you're enjoying some quiet time as that's what I"ll be doing now that we're home as well.
Have a good one!
xx

Anonymous said...

You are absolutely right. Quiet is good sometimes. Enjoy it and we hope Bianca rests up and her counts work their way back to normal soon. Any idea what the cause of the drop was? Just a reaction to chemotherapy?

hales said...

I HOPE YOU GET MORE SLEEP AND THAT BIANCAS COUNTS ARE UP ENOUGH MONDAY TO START BK ON THE CHEMO WOW 7 MONTHS TO GO, LETS HOPE SHE BREEZES THROUGH THEM IN GOOD HEALTH. XXX

Anonymous said...

I will be thinking of you and keeping you all in my prayers. I hope her counts recover quickly.