2009-01-07

Update from camp

Got a call from Janine Harvey this morning. Yesterday Bianca became very quiet when they went swimming so they kept an eye on her, but she slept really well and is back to being herself this morning.

Janine mentioned that Bianca really grew up since the last camp and I guess that is what the treatment does to these kids, it really makes them grow up fast and they certainly see a different aspect to life than most other kids their age and I also suppose having been to school for 2 terms now also contributed a little bit.

I must say that I am missing her quite a bit, but I am so happy she is able to be at camp.

Yesterday and this morning Caitlyn wasn't happy to be dropped off at daycare and she screamed quite a bit, but settled down pretty quickly after I left. I guess it is a combination of not being there for 2 weeks or so, dealing with Bianca being in hospital last week and now away at camp. She's probably feeling a bit stressed that things seem different to how it normally is. But I'm confident things will settle really soon again and life will take on its usual routine.

This year certainly is like a new start for us where we can start focusing again on the goals we've had to put aside the last 2 years.

I also feel really excited that in just a few months we will be done with treatment. Well, I certainly hope that would be the end of our treatment. We won't know whether the treatment worked until she's been off treatment for around 4 or 5 years, but we are very hopeful.

I remember when Bianca was diagnosed how it all felt like a prison sentence. All we could see was 2.5 long, long years ahead of us and suddenly it felt like we were locked in prison with no chance of an early release, there was no short-cut, there was no easy way out, we just had to get on with it. Then we reached last year and we started talking of "next year". Suddenly it felt closer, "next year" had a better ring to it than "two years from now" and here we are at the start of another year and we can actually say "this year" and not just this year, but "in a few months, before the end of the year".

I realise that lots can certainly happen between now and then, but it fills one with hope when your goal is so close you can almost touch it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize that Camp Quality was a sleep away camp! What a great milestone for you and Bianca. I thought it was a day camp arrangement. You should be so proud of her (and I am sure you are!) at how far she has come in the last year. To be able to sleep away from home(without family) is quite an accomplishment for any young child, but for Bianca who has been through so much, it really is remarkable. You have done a great job fostering such confidence in herself and you all should be very proud!
Rosemary NY

Anonymous said...

Hope, life without hope would be no life at all!
Glad Bianca is having a bash!
Poor Caitlyn, I can imagine all the goings on must be very disruptive for her. Hope she settles soon.

Anonymous said...

I am believing with you that this will be last treatment, your little girl is such a fighter and she will be fine! Praying for het too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog.

I will be keeping Bianca and your whole family in my prayers.