2009-03-28

Never thought the Salesperson would have the last laugh

I wear glasses. I can't actually see without them. Or rather I can see, but without my glasses everything is a rather blurrish blob, so yeah - I pretty much rely on my glasses all the time. I didn't always wear glasses. It was only since around 1998 if I remember correctly. I remember my first eye appointment, I asked the optometrist if I could please get contact lenses and so he helped me fit them. Piece of cake I thought. Until I had to take them out that night, and I simply couldn't. No matter how hard I tried they just wouldn't budge. So in desperation I called Terence (who at the time was working his final week at his job 300km away from where I was) and in between his fits of laughter he tried to explain to me the process of removing contact lenses. I don't know how I managed, but somehow I did and refused to put them back in that week. Thankfully I wasn't driving and so it didn't matter too much.

At some point that year I got some glasses. And that set of glasses lasted me a good number of years when finally last year it was time for a new frame for my glasses. So off I went, got my eyes tested and then I chose a new frame. The Salesperson then told me about a special offer where you pay a bit more and then get two frames instead of just one. And I respectfully declined because after all the other frame lasted me a long long time and what would I do with another pair of glasses? "In case the one set breaks" the Salesperson told me. "No, I should be fine" and off I went feeling so proud of myself that I resisted the tactics of a salesperson to try and make extra money from me.

So last night as I was getting ready f0r bed, what happened?

That's right, my new frame broke. And the Salesperson's words echoed in my mind "in case the one set breaks". So who had the last laugh? It would be the Salesperson (that's if I was able to see clearly I guess...).

So this morning Terence attempted to fix my frame so I am able to at least wear my glasses until we can get to the optometrist to see if they can somehow help me with a new frame or possibly a set of contact lenses to see me through until they can fit my lenses into a new frame.

Urggh! You don't know how much you need something until it is broken!!!

So how did your weekend start?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lea,
Pete is forever snapping the arm off his glasses. You should be able to buy a new arm for about $40. Are you guys going to the Parakai Hotpools day? We were meant to go but Griffin is sick and Pete is on steroids. Bad timing. I hope that you are all well and happy.
Bridget

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, my weekend started with work. You are right when you say urgggggg.

Shaz

Anonymous said...

Oh no. I too have had to learn this horrible lesson, I now always have contact lenses and two sets of glasses at all times because without them I cannot function!